Sunday, July 1, 2012

Plant update, part one: Sammy

Sammy was a rescue from my BF's job. His office moved a few blocks down and his coworker asked if I wanted her plants. They weren't hers - another coworker was let go and she just kept them on the sills. I couldn't bear to think about a poor plant in the trash, so I told her I'd pick it up ASAP.

When I came to pick the plant up, he looked like this.

AHHHHHH! I know, that was scary. Poor Sammy was so underwatered that he just hung there. I promptly took him home and cut off any dead leaves, as well as any leaves that suffered mechanical damage. I also replaced the soil but kept him in the same pot. A few weeks later, he looked like this:


Better. I thought he looked good then, but looking back at it I think he was looking sparse.

Now he looks like this (excuse the light levels here...my bathroom doesn't like my camera):

Much better, right? He sits with his soulmate and fellow rescue, Sally the Schlumbergera truncata. Up top is Buster the Pilea depressa and the still unnamed Senecio radicans. Sammy has been regularly trying to outgrow his pot...his little rhizomes are pushing the leaves up and out. I think it's mostly him thanking me for rescuing him. He's a joy to grow and never complains about my occasional neglect.

Next time I won't re-pot in MG soil. Never again - that's why the fly strip is only near him.

Thanks for letting me cut you up, Sammy. You were a trooper and look at you now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © So Much Beauty in Dirt