Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A.

This week hasn't been the most fortuitous. I have:

- had the worst stomach pain of my life. I hope that is not like childbirth or I may have to tell my BF that it won't ever happen. I vomited and was in the bathroom all day. I think it was food poisoning.
- my dog saw a dog, got out of his leash and attacked another dog. I was not a happy camper.
- I got pissed off on my birthday.

So, yeah. Onto the plants. I wasn't around all week, so I was definitely anxious to see how they were. Luckily only one plant (it's actually a cutting - H. multiflora) is not doing so hot. The tub of cuttings was flooded (Philly got lots of rain during the week...Jersey did too) and some of the stems got bent. Otherwise, everything looks great!

H. pubicalyx 'Red Buttons' had a bent stem. So, I cut it and divided it. This piece is definitely rooted.

This is the top portion. It has crazy aerial roots, so it should root just fine.

Onto the next one. I ordered some hydroton for H. multiflora. It's soaking in a solution of water and superthrive.

H. multiflora really suffered. Look at its yellow leaves. :(

All potted up. I didn't have a big enough container, so that explains my setup. I hope it roots! 

So, this is where we stand with the cuttings:


From Joni (mystery bundle): 

H. elliptica EPC-641
H. leytensis
H. cv 'Mathilde'
H. lacunosa 'Thai Clone'
H. pubicalyx 'Red Buttons'
H. limoniaca
H. myrmecopa

From Ebay:

H. lobbii (red flowers)
H. fischeriana (bonus) [YAY! It rooted! It resisted a good healthy tug and I could see white roots out of the node. I thought this was a goner.]
H. macgillivrayi IML-015 (bonus) [this one seems to have a root out of the first node. I will check it next week]
H. fungi typical form
H. fungi broad form [this one seems to have a root coming in. I dug the cutting in further and will check it next week]
H. multiflora IML-153 (2)
H. mindorensis IML-1776
H. villosa IML-1663 (?)

I am very happy with how these ended up. Even if I lose two or three, that's a fabulous ratio of life:death.

I had to bring some of the Hoyas in today to prop them up:

Excuse the quality. I had to crop my heinously messy background. She lost a few leaves but grew them back in spades.

BAM. Look at that gorgeous new leaf.

I am pretty sure. H. sp 910307 hasn't grown one iota, but look at those leaves. Love.


  Here is proof that some of my plants thrived in my hothouse of an apartment: 

Flo^2. Luckily, her crown of leaves isn't completely drooped like Flora had.

Jazzy had one point of new growth when I left on Saturday. This was it...

BAM. She must have needed the constant humidity to grow from more points. Just when I think she is done with the new growth and flowers...

This snazzy fellow from Violet Barn had this bud when I left. Not quite as developed - so I was shocked when I saw him! He is supposed to have a white-throat bloom. I cannot wait!

My AC gang. They hang out on top of my AC and get the best sun.

Charlie is still blooming on several runners. Such cute blooms.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer about not feeling well and the dog fight. But your plants look happy and healthy!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © So Much Beauty in Dirt