Friday, April 13, 2012

New plants and some signs the older ones aren't dying.

I can't stop dancing to Friendly Fires.

Anyway, here are my new plants:

Echeveria nodulosa. It was the only one there, and it was so beautiful...SNATCH.

Kalanchoe tubiflora. Apparently this is a weed in the ground and is pretty aggressive about getting around. Oh well, I like it! She will just have to be separated.

Senecio radicans/string of bananas. They had huge hanging baskets of it, but if it is anything like Senecio rowleyanus, no thanks. It grows quickly enough on it's own.

Portulacaria afra. I have the variegated version, which I do like better, but you know me. I have to collect each color...It's a 4-pack, so I'm going to pot up one for my friend and possibly my mom. I have to check if it's safe for cats first.

Hoya Krimson Princess. She is rather common, just like Miss Hoya, but that doesn't mean she isn't special! There were huge hanging baskets of her as well, but half the fun of Hoyas is growing them into big baskets like that. Carnosas are vigorous enough that in a year or so it will look just like the baskets. 

And for my plant events:
Look at this proud mama!

She got full afternoon sun and 1/2 strength fertilizer once a week (small pot) and there we go. Hoping for more!


Sally finally shows her true colors! For the longest, I didn't know what color blooms she would have. I had rescued her from my boyfriend's job a month ago and soon after she started budding. I rather like her bright pink self. I knew she'd be sassy.

And this is Miss Hoya, making me strain my arm by extending it fully so you can see her crazy vine. I thought Krimson Queen was a trailing plant?

And she still had enough energy to throw out a new, colored leaf. Now I'm glad I didn't buy the smaller, more colorful one. Miss Hoya has made my Hoya experience easier. She was a good intro plant.

Yes, Mimi has been pictured before. She lives for pictures...she is a diva, after all. This is her third round of blooms. When I took her home from the Philadelphia Flower Show, she had 7 blooms. Then she had 3. Now she has 10, with more on the way. She has been a pleasure to grow. We have a deal - I don't move her, she doesn't drop buds and she blooms profusely.
I have to admit that I've been slacking on the tending to my plants. My succulents are thinking eh, mom. That's okay, we like that. However, after coming home today my Hypoestes phyllostachya - who was fine this morning - straight up fainted on me. I kept her too dry. I immediate watered her and she perked back up. I'm sure I won't get away with that much, so I need to keep up with this.

I've just been so busy. In the last month, I have worked at least 6 days a week for most of it. I've just got off call Wednesday. I work tomorrow, and I know I have a responsibility to not only take care of myself, but keep up with my family and friends. Plants are very important to me, as well, and I will just have to find a balance.

Things may be even more hectic in the coming weeks. My mother's birthday is next week, my 3-year anniversary the week after, and I'm going to visit a friend that same weekend. Between that, I'm setting up the greenhouse with a friend out in our concrete slab and helping my mother spruce up the yard.

I hope everyone stays blessed! Until next time.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome you and your friend are going to have a greenhouse. I'll look forward to seeing what you grow.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © So Much Beauty in Dirt