Sunday, April 29, 2012

My plants are silly geese.

I had a wonderful vacation. I'm NOT looking forward to work tomorrow...but alas, I must be an adult and do Adult Things.

Anyway, I come bursting in the door, anxious to catch the Flyers game. Bags of groceries in hand and just kissed my mother goodbye (she is a saint, really. Drove me two hours without me asking.) I give my windowsills a quick look and everything is fine. Phew!

Then I see Jazzy. She's fainted.

OH NO! She got too hot and too dry while I was gone - darnit. I quickly gave her a good watering and a few hours later, she's trying to forgive me. I forget that while I have succulents that don't mind being dry...I have prima donnas that HATE being dry. I've found that I only have a few of those, thankfully.

Randoms:

1. The Lowe's by the bridge into Philly is the best one I have ever been in. Yes, some were dying. However, the selection was so much better. Tons of plants and most of them were healthy. My mom even bought some (I think I'm giving her the bug again.) I ended up leaving with some rhipsalis, which I have been interested in for a while. They're hanging too so they will get a good spot by the window.

2. Poor Coral the Nematanthus is battling her mealies very bravely. When I came home, her new growth had yellowed. I haven't watered her in almost two weeks. That growth had a mealy in it so I sprayed her down with neem. I guess she didn't like it.

3. I saw some weird flightless bugs on Diva. I quickly killed them but they didn't match my images of scale, mealybugs, or spider mites. Hm.

4. Very non-plant related: I'm not one to play games. I live above people who do not know how to keep it down. Thankfully, I have possibly the best landlord ever to landlord. Seriously. He's also Cantonese so I think he liked me 300x more when he found out I was half, haha.

5. I'm starting to realize that certain plants don't do well with me. Echeverias routinely like to die on me (okay okay, there have only been two but still), and I'm not going to try Aeoniums again until I get a backyard. 

Okay, that's it for now. I'm waiting for Mr. Subjunctive's plant list to go up as well as Joni's list of May hoyas over at SRQ. I want potsii 'Chaing Mai', sp. Ban Ngon Ngoy, and something else I can't remember really badly.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I love the look of Aeonium STAY AWAYYYYYYYYYYYY. They're really only good as a patio annuals. They need such an absurd amount of sunlight in the winter that there is basically no way to keep them healthy without having them under a grow light 24/7

-Tom

ps. thanks for the comment!

Lauren said...

Now I feel better about killing the poor thing. Apparently it's just not good on a windowsill.

You're welcome!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © So Much Beauty in Dirt