Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I will save your life.

This post should be titled:

Meet the windowsill gang/the wonders of fertilizer/new plants.

Though that wouldn't be as concise as I'd like. So, this will be a Deftones lyric title.

Let's start with the bedside windowsill gang. The plants don't really rotate here, as they're pest free and prefer high light.


This is Chaka not long after I bought her. February 2012. 3.5" pot.

This is her weedy behind self today. 5" pot, with roots coming out of the bottom.



Her leaves have really evolved. They used to pop out bright pink. Now they're darker.

The flowers are small, and only last about a day. They're not especially showy, either.

This is Baby. See why I call her this? She towers over her 2" pot.

I don't really know what this growth is. I was thinking new leaves until it got elongated like this. Maybe a stem for the flowers?

I don't really talk about my Crassula ovata, mostly because I feel like everyone has one. However, I had to have one when I first started my foray into houseplants. I'm Asian, so obviously I was drawn to a Jade plant.

It's just so easy to grow. I drench and then ignore it. It seems overjoyed with this.

I bought the Crassula ovata and this Portulacaria afra together, thinking they were the same plant but with different leaves. (Forgive my beginner's ignorance in February.) However, this is different but so much more impressive to me. It started sprouting leaves and hasn't stopped.

And the leaves almost shimmer in the light.
This is Russell, the Ficus. I know I should have done a profile on him by now. Things get crazy. Anyway, he's one of the first plants to live in my apartment (along with Diva, who sits on the dressers). He was moved to this windowsill a few days ago since I know Ficus don't like drastic changes in light.
This is his good angle. I wish he was that bushy all over!
My only problem with Russell is that his new leaves are growing in green-yellow. You know, as opposed to green-white. I've seen other Ficus benjamina in big box stores that are doing the same things. I don't know if this is normal or not.

The happy family, sans Baby, who hangs out with Amelia and Queen Anne on the nightstand. More on them in another post.

 This took entirely too long to post. My computer is older and I had to restart several times because I left the cord unplugged accidentally. So, I'll do the new plants/fertilizer is awesome post later on this week. Probably tomorrow.

Goodnight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © So Much Beauty in Dirt