Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Is it any wonder I can't sleep?

I'm in a very Smashing Pumpkins mood. I have no clue why, but this is awesome.

Anyway, I present some verbal diarrhea with some pictures.

Chaka is one of my prima donnas, believe it or not. She straight up fainted on me about a week ago, but was like JK LMAO when I watered her. Hmph. She's grown quite a bit since I got her. She was a lot more compact than this. I know that Hypoestes Phyllostachya tends to get a little ungainly with time, so I may need to cut her back. She already has roots poking out of her drainage hole. I RE-POTTED HER TWO MONTHS AGO.


I haven't named this P. afra yet. Funny, because I've had it for about two months now. It's a really good, easy plant. It's grown a ton of new leaves, has never dropped one on me, and loves her sunny spot on the windowsill.

This is a new plant. It's Rhipsalis rhombea, though I've read that that's not a recognized species. (Species? Cultivar?) I've walked away from it before, but not this time. Mom bought some plants so I got two as well.

Rhipsalis mesembryanthemoides. I don't know if that's correct because all this pictures I've seen don't mimic this particular growth habit. However, I don't have any better guesses. This isn't a plant I'd usually be interested in but I told myself to think outside of the box. It had lots of new growth, so I said 'why not?'

Another P. afra. I like the variegated version better, but I bought a four pack so I was going to enjoy it damnit. I gave two away and potted up two for myself. It's putting on growth quicker than its variegated sibling. It's not really all that close to the window, either. It's on a stool about three feet away.

Kalanchoe tubiflora. It's grown a HELL of a lot in the two or so weeks I've had it. It put on a full inch without me noticing. I picked it up on Sunday and then saw a picture of it after purchase. Wow.

BIASED PLANT OPINION AHEAD. I think Euphorbia milii is the easiest plant to grow, seriously. Yes, Trent is very touchy about being overwatered. He will threaten you with yellow leaves all up in his area. I firmly believe that's because of the crappy peaty soil he came in. That all changed today. I gave him a nice 5.5" pot to sit and grow in. It wasn't nearly as bad repotting as I thought - all of his soil came off and I just avoided his thorns.

Oh my god, I love his leaves.


H'okay. My boyfriend suggest orchid supports for Jazzy, and I always thought they looked too big from seeing the packaging. I caved and clipped her up gently. Doesn't she look miserable? She has been dropping leaves and one of her leaves looks "burned". I checked for mites and I'm not seeing anything. No webbing, no specks. I just hope this is her still being mad at me for leaving for 48 hours and not watering her enough to last that long. I'm sorry!

Sally returns to her soulmate, Sammy. She is all done blooming and ready to go back to her bright little love cove. (Don't mind the fly strip...Sammy is still in the MG soil and I'm trying to avoid repotting him. However, the fungus gnats are insane around him!)

This is Buster, a Pilea depressa,  looking fat. He's not looking good on one side, and I'm CONSTANTLY watering him. Of course, this is not because I love him that freaking much...it's because he's always dry. That was it - he got re-potted. The pot is really not that much bigger than the last. I may be re-potting him again before I know it.

This is Queen Anne, a Pothos 'Marble Queen'. She's named after my mother. She's everything my mom is - tolerant, subtle yet beautiful, and generous.

And generous she is - she's trying to give me three more new leaves after popping out two in the last two weeks. Another shoot is starting from the soil. Queen Anne is happy as a Pothos. 


 1. I do agree with the sentiment that not enough plant bloggers actually blog about their failures. As a beginner, I fully admit to my failures. Jazzy does not look happy for whatever reason and it's frustrating because I fuss over her. I try to keep her moist then leave her alone in a sunny spot. She was fine with this until I left. I don't get it.

I killed an Aeonium that was gorgeous because it's really not an indoor plant, and an Echeveria after I left for 3 days. I watered it and everything but it called it quits while I was gone. I'm thinking too much heat near the window. I've thrown away plenty of dead outdoor plants.

2. I'm in the process of ordering from Mr. S. I'm really excited about the plants I want. I may get a "real" Christmas cactus!!!!

3. Trying to save money for a house when there are perfectly good plants for sale is HARD.

That's it for now. Alla prossima!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the Euphorbia milii plants - they're super easy. I can't get enough of those adorable blossoms!

Lauren said...

Hi, Liza!

I wish I could still say they're super easy. Apparently mine does not like whatever re-potting I just did to him. However, yours are always gorgeous. :)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © So Much Beauty in Dirt