Wednesday, May 16, 2012

New plants/random plant events.

On an impulse, I made a purchase of two Hoyas from Gardino nursery. The two Hoyas I bought were going for insane prices for 3-4" pots elsewhere. I would try to pounce on an Ebay listing and I would get outbid every time. Shipping was quick, the plants look healthy and I feel like I got my money's worth. Anyway, here they are:

H. mindorensis. I have been looking at it for some time - it's blooms are gorgeous and the foliage is pretty enough to grow it without blooms. The foliage is a little plain, but they sent me such a nice sized plant for $10. I was really impressed.

These sell out really quickly for whatever reason. I snatched it up before I made the mistake I made with H. macrophylla.

Oh my god. I love H. obscura! This plant also sparks bidding wars, and I wasn't about to spend $15-20 for a small pot. This went for $8 and I'm so happy about the color of the foliage.

Though I probably won't be able to maintain this cheery red, I'm going to keep it as happy as I can.


I also have some plant events. Not all are about growth:

I transplanted the (probably not) Aloe nobilis into a bigger pot. It was horribly rootbound! I know it's big, but I want to give it room to grow. I haven't been having much luck with repotting aloes...I usually remove all of the previous mix and re-pot like that. I had a division that didn't like that and I trashed it yesterday. I'm terrified that I will kill this poor thing. Luckily, this root ball had bigger roots, so I may have better luck.

The aloes' pups. I have a feeling one of them will take. We'll see.

Do not mind the fly strip - still battling fungus gnats. Anyway, this is what Trent looks like now...on his good side. The ventilation and sunnier spot has seemed to end his fussing.
Lots of other things are going on in my jungle apartment but I need to cook dinner. My poor boyfriend has pink eye and I haven't seen him in a little while. Work is getting hectic (we have an audit coming up) and so this quiet time is welcomed.

Until next time, arrrivederci amici!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © So Much Beauty in Dirt